Bathing Water Directive
Aims to protect public health and the environment from pollution at bathing waters.
Bathing Waters – what's our role?
We carry out the monitoring of bathing waters in England and Wales. Bathing waters in England and Wales are 'designated' by Defra and the Welsh Government.
What we do
- We monitor nearly 500 bathing waters in England and Wales and assess whether they comply with the standards of the current Bathing Water Directive (76/1160/EEC).
- We identify the significant sources of pollution which cause individual bathing waters to fail and progress plans to improve the water quality.
- We work with the water industry and The Water Services Regulation Authority (Ofwat) through the periodic review process to identify and prioritise sewage treatment works and sewerage infrastructure for improvement.
- We work with other initiatives such as Catchment Sensitive Farming, sustainable urban drainage systems and water protection zones to find solutions to other pollution sources.
- We also play a role in maintaining good quality bathing waters through our regulatory permitting process.
Find out more