Find out how to use a simple spreadsheet tool to investigate the potential impact of groundwater abstraction on river flows.
What is the IGARF1 v4 spreadsheet tool?
The IGARF1 v4 spreadsheet tool makes several analytical solutions available to the user. It covers simplified representations of a wide range of surface-water groundwater configurations. In summary, IGARF1 v4 allows the user to:
- consider the impact of groundwater abstraction on a single river
- consider the impact of a no flow boundary on a single river system
- compare the impact of groundwater abstraction on each river in a two-river system
- specify the relative positions of the river(s), boundary and well
- consider continuous and periodic pumping regimes
- design a pumping test
- obtain draw-down predictions
- obtain river flow depletion predictions in time and space
- provide an audit trail for their model.
The data is presented in graphical format. The spreadsheet leads the user through the process of defining their conceptual model.
The simple conceptual models on which the analytical solutions are based will, in general, be crude oversimplifications of the real situation. Results from their use will help identify whether there is a problem to be addressed or not but, in many cases, more accurate representations of the physical situation will be needed in order to provide good predictions of the impact of the abstraction.
The user should be aware that in some situations, use of the analytical tools provided may not represent a safe or conservative means of assessment. Each application must be assessed in terms of the assumptions and limitations of the methods and their applicability to the scenario under investigation.
The user manual describes the functionality of the spreadsheet in detail, and explains how and when to apply the solutions to real-life situations. First time users of IGARF1 v4 should consider starting at Chapter 5, as this presents a fully scripted case study specifically designed for a new user to work through.
Terms and conditions
When you download the IGARF1 v4 spreadsheet tool for the first time, you will be asked to accept the terms and conditions of use.
If you need help please contact us.