Use this form to apply for a new bespoke or standard rules RSR permit, or to vary, transfer or surrender an RSR permit.
There is one form, made up of six parts. You need to use different parts of the form depending on the type of application you are making.
We advise you read the guidance to Part A. This will explain when you will need to make an application and which parts of the form to use for each type of application. For example, for a new application you will to need to use parts A, B and F.
Guidance on how to complete each part of the form is available below. Once you have selected the right parts of the form you need only fill in the sections of that form which are relevant to your application. If you wish to discuss the application form or your application, please see the section 'help with your application' at the foot of this page for contact details.
We expect you to use this form for all applications made after 6 April 2010.
Further guidance to help you complete your application is available on our guidance pages:
You must make a separate application for the keeping or use of sealed sources.
Where to send your completed application and supporting documents
For applications relating to sealed radioactive sources, please send your completed application form and supporting documents to:
PO Box 4404
If your application does not relate to sealed radioactive sources email it to:
Listed below are the elements of the application form and associated guidance.
Part A and F
All applicants must fill in parts A and F of the application form:
Part B (new permits)
Applicants for new permits must also fill in Part B.
- Application for an RSR standard rules permit: Part RSR B1 (PDF, 83KB)
- Part RSR B1: guidance notes (PDF, 134KB)
- Category 5 sealed radioactive sources - standard rules (version 1.0 April 2010) (PDF, 64KB)
- Application for an RSR sealed sources permit: Part RSR B2 (PDF, 408KB)
- Part RSR B2: sealed sources guidance notes (PDF, 111KB)
- Application for an RSR nuclear sites, open sources and radioactive waste disposal: Part RSR B3 (PDF, 114KB)
- Part RSR B3: guidance notes (PDF, 133KB)
- Application for RSR non-nuclear sites, open sources and radioactive waste disposal: Part RSR B4 (PDF, 304KB)
- Part RSR B4: guidance notes (PDF, 123KB)
- Application for on-site burial of radioactive waste: Part RSR B5 (PDF, 365KB)
- Part RSR B5: guidance notes (PDF, 88KB)
Part C (variations)
Permit holders who wish to vary their permit must also fill in the relevant Part C:
Part D (transfer)
The person to whom the permit will pass must complete the form. Both parties must sign the declaration in Part F:
Part E (surrender)
Permit holders applying to surrender an existing RSR permit must also fill in Part E:
- Application to surrender a RSR sealed sources permit: Part RSR E2 (PDF, 327KB)
- Part RSR E2: guidance notes (PDF, 78KB)
- Application to surrender a permit for nuclear and non-nuclear sites, open sources and radioactive waste disposal: Part RSR E4 (PDF, 332KB)
- Part RSR E4: guidance notes (PDF, 81KB)
- Notification to surrender, in part or full, a radioactive substances activity permit (Not to be used for sealed sources): Part RSR E5 (PDF, 54KB)
- Notification to surrender, in part or full, a radioactive substances activity permit (For sealed sources only): Part RSR E6 (PDF, 54KB)
- Part RSR E5 and RSR E6: guidance notes (PDF, 32KB)
Use this if you wish to pay by credit or debit card.
Help with your application
If you need help filling in this form, please contact the person who sent it to you or contact us as shown below.
Premises not on a nuclear site
Phone: 01142 800 678 or 01142 800 682
Premises on a nuclear site
Nuclear Regulation Group (North)
Phone: 01768 215 991
Nuclear Regulation Group (South)
Phone: 01491 828 629